Much of the additional waste headed to the landfill during the holiday season comes in the form of gift wrap and packaging. Good reused or reusable alternatives include:
- Old maps, sheet music or colorful ads from old magazines
- Reusable tins
- Scarves and handkerchiefs
- Leftover fabric or fabric gift bags
- Lightweight wallpaper
- Pages from a child's coloring book taped together
- Newspapers (foreign newspapers are great) and Sunday comic pages
- Last year's holiday paper (warm iron if wrinkled)
- A plain box decorated with leftover glitter, paint, markers, etc.
When opening presents, save the wrapping paper, boxes, tins, ribbons and bows for next year. If you purchase gift wrap, look for wrapping paper and holiday cards with post-consumer recycled content, which avoids cutting down any new trees, and "closes the recycling loop."